On Longing

"...the nostalgic input of the handmade in a 'plastic world'."

-From the book On Longing by Susan Stuart

This piano was purchased in 1917 at the state fair in Iowa and was delivered to my great grandmothers house on a horse-drawn carriage. It was recently restored and presented to me as a gift. When I play it or listen to music on it, I always think about how it came to be in my family and it brings nostalgia for the past. When the piano is played, it is like creating something and bringing the music to life. Unlike the music played today through recordings and devices, each time the piano is played, the hammers hitting the strings creates a slightly different sound, making each time you listen to a song on the piano a special and unique experience. The music listened to widely today in our "plastic world" is just a remake of this experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity Portrait

Touch